OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 23:34:23 -0500
Several trips to Greenlawn cemetery today confirmed that a flock of 30+ White-winged Crossbills are firmly established in the NW corner of the cemetery.  Look in Sections X or H (they're neighboring...go figure), which you can find by following the road with the white-dashed center line from the entrance almost to the far NW corner.  Keep your ears peeled for the weird soft 'Killip' flight calls, as the flock was much easier to locate when it flew between trees than when it was sitting quietly in a tree.  Several times, the flock descended to take drinks from puddles in the road.  Your best bet is to look for the accumulation of birders, since lots of people were locating these birds.  If central Ohio birders want to get good looks at this boreal vagrant without traveling up to Toledo, the next few days might be your very best chance.

Even before I reached the Crossbill area, I knew it would be an unusual day because of an immense flock of starlings that hovered around the cemetery entrance.  Walking around found more Starling flocks, along with lots of robins, waxwings, and juncos; so many birds were flying around, in fact, that my car was liberally decorated with bird droppings.  Single Pine Siskins were found both near the Crossbills and around the Ravine, and several people reported seeing the Red-br.Nuthatch at the Pit suet feeders (although I did not).  2-3 sapsuckers were still moving around the cemetery, and a similar number of Mockingbirds were calling from the bushes scattered around the northern end.  Cooper's and Red-tailed Hawks were also present, but I couldn't find the alleged Merlin; however the starling and robin flocks were very skittish, implying the presence of multiple raptor threats.  Keep your eyes peeled and post what you find.