OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2008 12:58:32 -0500
Hi everyone...just wanted to send out a reminder that Great Horned
Owls are setting up territories out there.  Birds could be incubating
here shortly.  Had any on a recent Christmas Bird Count?  If you have
or know of calling Great Horned Owls, please consider submitting these
records to the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II
(http://bird.atlasing.org/Atlas/OH/Main).  All the information you
need is the date of the observation, an exact location of your
observation, and a basic description of what you observed.  If you
have any questions about submitting Atlas data, please feel free to
contact us.  A current map of Great Horned Owl distribution in Ohio
can be found at:

http://bird.atlasing.org/Atlas/OH/Main?cmd=stateSummary&theme=species&edition=current&species=grhowl&species=Go

Records in the northwestern counties and the southeastern counties are
noticeably few and far between.

Looking ahead to the spring and summer, we still need as much help
with OBBA2 that we can possibly get.  We would love to have every
birder and naturalist in Ohio participating in this important project.
 If you're not familiar with the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II, it's not
to be confused with the USGS Breeding Bird Survey.  Participation is
much like participating in a Christmas Bird Count.  Please let us know
if you would like more information on Atlas participation.

If you are already helping out, please consider wrapping up efforts in
your current survey blocks next summer and moving on to other areas
with blocks in need of coverage.  On a Region by Region basis, most
counties that are in need of significant help are those in the
Northwest and Southeast.  If anyone is interesting in adopting survey
efforts in one specific county, let us know and we can get you maps of
important areas for that county.

Happy New Year!

Aaron Boone

--