OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:39:30 EST

Today  Rick Oxley, Richard Oxley and I took advantage of the great weather
for December  30th and headed north to do some birding. Our initial objective
was  to find some owls, but the overwhelming presence of “Hunter’s Orange” led
to a  change of agenda. We did though have an enjoyable day both in our
company and  the birds we located.
Our first stop was at Wyandot C-112 where there were numerous  Horned Larks
and a few Lapland Longspurs and American Pipits. From there we went  to C-29 to
see what was present at the flood plain. We weren’t disappointed as  along
with the many Canada Geese and Mallards we found 9 Greater White-fronted  Geese
and a few Northern Pintails. In the tree line at the edge of the road near
the farmhouse we found a Red-headed Woodpecker.
We  then headed south to the Upper Sandusky Reservoir. As we entered the
reservoir  we were greeted by a gorgeous Red-shouldered Hawk in the trees along
the fence.  In the stand of dead trees in the water were 2 adult Bald Eagles. We
scanned the  water looking for Cackling Geese but only located Canada Geese
and Mallards at  first, and then we found a Hooded Merganser and a Bufflehead
near the middle of  the reservoir.
We  next headed south to Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area where we located a
nice  mixture of species. Included were 2 Greater White-fronted Geese, hundreds
of  Canada Geese, 9 Trumpeter Swans, 61 Tundra Swans, 13 Gadwall, 20+ American
Black  Ducks, hundreds of Mallards, 18 Northern Shovelers, 23 Northern
Pintail, 1  Green-winged Teal, 8 Common Goldeneye, 10 Bald Eagles, 8 Northern
harriers, 1  Cooper’s Hawk, several Red-tailed Hawks, American Kestrel, a Wild Turkey
that  played chicken with Rick’s vehicle, and various usual common birds.
Our  last stop was at Big Island Wildlife Area where we found a few Great
Blue  Herons, the first for the day, 2 Trumpeter Swans, 6 Green-winged Teal, 7
more  Bald Eagles (total for the day was 17), 9 Northern Harriers, a Ring-necked
 Pheasant, Horned Larks, American Tree Sparrows, 2 Swamp Sparrows and several
 other common species. Our total for the trip was 44 species and lots of good
 company.
Charlie Bombaci

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.