OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2008 17:25:54 -0500
Well I had to go to Sam Ash today and got there too early so I decided to make the jaunt to Greenlawn Cemetery to see if I could find the Crossbills or the Red Breasted Nuthatch.  I couldn't get over the fact that the cemetery was bigger than Larue.

I stayed there for a couple of  hours and all I saw were...dead people. :-D  There were more birders today than Crossbills.  I did talk to one fellow who said that they were there earlier in the morning so they are probably still around but they probably didn't want to be out in the snow either. :-)

The day turned into a day to meet and re-meet other birders and strangely enough talk about Ken's poem about Chickadees. :-)...Is that posted anywhere, I would like to read the whole thing, it sounds...interesting.

Next time one of these things pops up, we ought to bring some Hot Chocolate and have a party! :-) Can you imagine 30+ people standing in a graveyard drinking hot chocolate?

The only other real highlight of the day was that I got to see where they bury the Pope. :-D (Go to the feeder that has the suet on top of it and look to your left with the pond on your right...it's like the second monument up the hill.)

I did get to see a Coopers Hawk I think, if any one can confirm, please do.  It was over at the feeders scattering the birds for a short time.  It rested on a tree just long enough for me to get my camera set up and then it flew away before I could push the button.  It then flew off toward the bridge.

Considering the rest of my day, and the sliding out of the cemetery, it was a great time.

Happy Birding and God bless.

Steve Jones
(a.k.a. sjlarue)

29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.
30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
31 So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

(Matthew 10.29-31)