OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2008 18:02:28 EST
Hello!

After whiffing on the White-Winged Crossbills at Greenlawn Cemetery this
morning in south Columbus, Ken and Julie Davis and I drove down to Lake White
just outside of Waverly to look for the birds reported there by Dan Sanders this
 past Thursday.  When we first arrived, we observed four Greater
White-Fronted Geese amongst the hundreds of Canada Geese from a vantage point  along SR
552.  We then later parked in the lot at the "Lake White  Club" and scanned the
numerous waterfowl for the Ross's Goose previously  reported.  After several
minutes of observation without the Ross's, we  "circled" the lake via SR 552
to SR 220 to SR 551.  At another vantage  point from SR 551, we identified 2
white suspects in the middle of the lake that  were swimming towards the area we
just left at the club.  Through the  scope, we could note the size difference
and suspected we found the one Snow and  one Ross's Goose reported by Dan.
We circled back around the lake and  again parked in the club lot, and from
there, confirmed the Snow and Ross's  Goose as they stood next to each other on
the rocky shore.  Through both  binoculars and scopes, we were afforded
fantastic views of these geese and could  clearly see the differentiating
characteristics of the Ross's from the  Snow.  The list of birds observed were as follows:

Ross's Goose
Snow Goose
Greater White-Fronted Goose-4
Canada Goose-several hundred
Mallard-1000+
Canvasback-1
Hooded Merganser-40+
Black Duck-50+
Ruddy Duck-several
Bonaparte's Gull-1
Ring-Billed Gull-10

Because of the wind and blowing snow, we did not take the time to look at
the Canada Geese in detail for a possible Cackling Goose.  However, we did  not
see anything by cursory observations that stood out to indicate one.   As
indicated by Dan, for more information about Lake White State Park, you can  check
this web site: _http://www.stateparks.com/lake_white.html_
(http://www.stateparks.com/lake_white.html)  which  also includes a map  A word of warning for
those who may go tomorrow  (Sunday), the roads (Rte. 23/104) were somewhat
treacherous as a result of the  today's snow as indicated by the numerous
accidents we saw and cars observed off  of the road.  The stretch of Rte. 23 from
which Scioto Trail Park is  entered was especially icy.

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio