OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
Verna Ansel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Verna Ansel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2008 18:26:47 -0500
Today I was treated to the most spectacular sight I have ever seen. After
doing some Christmas shopping, I decided to head home by way of Hayden Run
Road to the west of Cosgray in Hilliard, OH. There is a small park, Heritage
Park Trail End, where I occasionally see ducks in the two small ponds there.
Well, when I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed a large flock overhead
and thought I was seeing a rather disoriented flock of geese. When I rolled
my window down and got my binoculars out, I was so pleased to see it was a
large flock of Sandhill Cranes!!! There was probably 100+ and they flew from
the northwest to the southeast. Gauging from the direction they were
heading, they probably ended up around Scioto Audubon or such areas. Wow,
what a treat. They were so loud and at one point they stretched across the
sky almost in an east-west straight line. They flew right over where I was
sitting in my car, and even though it was snowing to beat the band, I was
able to see quite a bit of detail.

This was the most exciting thing I have ever seen. I don't think I'll top it
for a long time.

Hope someone else north or south of Hilliard got a glimpse of them. Sure
made my millennium!!!

Verna Ansel
Galloway, OH