OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
Richard Counts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Counts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2008 10:20:25 -0500
The White Winged Crossbills were joined by a single male Red Crossbill this morning along with a couple of Pine Siskins.

As the 40+ White wings took to the air, which they commonly do, they returned to the cemetery joined by a single, vocal Red Crossbill.

These crossbills not only frequent hemlocks, but commonly feed on the cones of spruce trees near the top of the trees.

Many times the birds fly well away from the cemetery, only to return to begin feeding again.

Redpolls last year and siskins and crossbills this year; this is the first time in recent memory that we've had back to back winter finch years.

Rick Counts
Wyandot Co.