OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
"TINIANOW, Jerome" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TINIANOW, Jerome
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2008 09:38:54 -0500
My wife and I were treated to a pleasant surprise when returning home to our Clintonville (Columbus) neighborhood at about 7:30 p.m. on Sunday evening.  A barred owl was perched about six feet off the ground in a small tree in a yard at the northwest corner of Irving Way and Montrose Way.  We were able to approach with 20 feet of the bird and got a good look.  This yard sees a lot of rabbit action around dusk; perhaps the owl has discovered this.  We heard a barred owl in nearby Whetstone Park last spring, but this is the first time we have seen one in the middle of the neighborhood in the 20 years we have lived there.

Jerry Tinianow