OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 2008 11:59:06 -0800
Howling north winds pushed the gulls close to shore at
E 72nd St, this morning.  Most of the Bonaparte's of
yesterday were gone, as Herring Gulls dominated the
scene.  Several times, all of the birds in the area
flushed, and the sheer number of gulls between E 55th
& 72nd Streets was staggering.

Highlights:

first-winter CALIFORNIA GULL - Size, structure, and
coloration set this bird apart immediately.  Much
smaller overall than accompanying Herring Gulls.
Whitish face and slight, pinkish, black-tipped bill
distinctive.  In flight, uppertail coverts were
whitish with dark barring and dark greater coverts
emphasized the blackish trailing edge of the wing.  In
view for a solid five minutes or so, at fairly close
range.

first-winter ICELAND GULL

seven Lesser Black-backed Gulls (3 first-winter,
third-winter & 3 adults)

I was also rewarded with four WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS
at the Jesuit Retreat Home on State Rd. in Parma.  The
birds dropped from the treetops briefly, to feed in a
shrub at eye-level.  Gorgeous!  A "Private Property -
No Trespassing" has been posted at the entrance to
this property, but I asked the groundskeeper for
permission to walk around.  Four Red-breasted
Nuthatches and two siskins were also present, a
Cooper's Hawk was dragging a freshly-killed Blue Jay
around.

Good birding -
Gabe Leidy
Cleveland