OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
Jeremiah Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeremiah Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 2008 17:21:45 -0500
Hello All,

After read the post on Cross bills in Kent I had to check it out for
myself.  They were not located near the front entrance nor withing the
cemetery grounds.  I found  them in the back woodlot among the Sweetgums
and some pine trees scatter within the woodlot.  I first heard the call,
then I was able to located the birds flying between the hardwoods and pine
trees.
Addition species seen
Dark-eyed Junco
N. Cardinal
Song Sparrow
Black-capped Chickadee

Re: to the Tundra Swans; were not present on Twin Lakes, just mallards and
canadian geese.

See you in the field,
Jeremiah W. Roth
Conservation Biology
Applied Geography
Kent State University

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 15:18:35 -0500, Judy Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Hello All
>
>If anyone is interested, today I located a group of 31 White-winged
Crossbills at the Standing Rock Cemetery in Kent, Portage Co. They were
near the entrance to the housing development, right across from the high
school. They were pretty skittish, especially with all the car traffic
nearby. Best located by voice.

www.ohiobirds.org/forum/.