OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 2008 22:40:23 -0500
Hi all,

For the fourth year now, the Ohio Ornithological Society and the Wilds are
hosting a mid-winter field trip to the tundra-like landscape of the Wilds.
Our focus is raptors, and species like Golden Eagle, Short-eared Owl,
Rough-legged Hawk, and Northern Harrier are to be expected. Northern Shrike
is a possibility - one has already been seen this winter - and who knows
what else.

The Wilds graciously has agreed to open their visitor's center atop the hill
for lunch, and we will be treated to a lunchtime program about the Wilds by
staffer Troy Burch. Should be a great time and a good chance to see some
interesting birds, study raptors, and meet many of your fellow birders.

All the details are below - hope to see you there!

The 4th Annual Wilds Winter Raptor Extravaganza

Saturday, January 17th, 2009

Mark your calendars and pull out your fleece! The OOS and the Wilds again
are hosting our mid-winter foray to the fabulous winter birding Mecca in
Muskingum County.

Raptors converge in great numbers at the Wilds to take advantage of the
abundant bounty of Meadow Voles that inhabit the 10,000 acres of grassland.
We expect Northern Harriers, Rough-legged Hawks, Red-tailed Hawks,
Short-eared Owls, along with a number of other species of meat-eating
predators.

Kings of the sky are Golden Eagles, several of which have over-wintered at
the Wilds for at least nine years. Last year, every participant got to see
at least one, some close enough without binoculars. Also possible is a
recurring Northern Shrike, and this is also the locale where a Prairie
Falcon spent two winters.

Arctic-like temperatures and icy blasts of air don't deter the birds, and in
years past the weather hasn't deterred the birders either. Last year, about
130 people showed up and a good time was had by all.

Free Registration

*   Even though this trip is a free, open-to-all, giveback to the Ohio
birding community, we need to know who will be coming.

*   Please send an email to [log in to unmask] to reserve your space at
this OOS Tradition - Winter at the Wilds.

Full details, maps, etc. will be emailed back to you for proper preparation.

The details are also on the OOS homepage at: http://www.ohiobirds.org/

Jim McCormac

Columbus, Ohio

Like nature? Visit my blog: http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/