OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2008 22:31:48 -0500
I hiked around Blendon Woods this morning, enjoying the cold weather and having the park largely to myself.  Despite the cold conditions, most areas of the park had lots of bird activity.  Thoreau Lake had its usual squadron of Mallards & Black Ducks, but nothing else.  Landbirds were more interesting, with lots of flock birds (chickadees et al.) in many places in the forest as well as around the feeders.  Highlights included:

woodpeckers - LOTS of Downies (17+) & Red-bellies (13+), along with a few Hairies and Flickers, during the few hours that I was there.  A Pileated was hammering at a dead snag along the Streamside Trail.

Brown Creepers - at least 2 were feeding along the Streamside Trail.

Hermit Thrush - 1 was calling from the southern edge of the Cherry Ridge picnic area.

Sparrows - a beautiful eastern Fox Sparrow was at the feeder next to the eastern viewing blind at Thoreau Lake, while a Tree Sparrow was lurking around the Nature Center feeders.

Siskin - at least 1 was with a big flock of Goldfinches that were picking up grit from the recently- sanded parking lot at the Cherry Ridge picnic area.