OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
Ann Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:27:20 -0500
Hi Ohio Birders,

  As Pam R. previously posted, The Columbus Dispatch ran an article today on
Ohio birder Major Randal Rogers' efforts in Iraq. It's nicely done and gives
an overview of what Randy is 'officially' doing to serve his country... and
'voluntarily' accomplishing for the benefit of birds, Iraqi birders, and
international relations between the US and Iraq.

   Randy recently wrote an article for The Cerulean (quarterly newsletter of
the Ohio Ornithological Society). Members of the OOS who subscribe to an
online version received a link to the fall issue last week. The paper
version of The Cerulean is currently arriving in mailboxes.

   Here's a link to the OOS newsletter to read about Randy's efforts from
his point of view:
   http://www.ohiobirds.org/publications/cerulean/08-10.pdf

   With the support of the OOS, birders across Ohio, Randy's friends, and
especially folks in the Columbus area including Columbus Audubon, nearly
$2000 has been raised to help Randy's efforts. The upcoming winter issue of
The Cerulean will feature an update on Randy's endeavors to "build bridges
between US and Iraqi birders".

   Randy's good works are already taking root. Here's a statement from Dr.
A. Alwash, CEO and Founder of Nature Iraq, a non-governmental group (NGO)
trained by Birdlife International that is restoring the southern marshes of
Iraq:
   "Birders are a special kind of people. And like the birds they love, they
do tend to flock together. Randy has helped in creating a direct link and a
bond between Iraqi birders and Ohio birders.
   "In many ways, Randle is helping Iraqis see Americans as more than just
soldiers, and helping Americans see Iraq as more than a bunch of warring
sunnie and shea, arab and kurd, and the many artificial divisions visited on
us by so called Iraqi experts pontificating on US screens.  He is helping in
the most humble way possible, using his passion for nature, to bring us
together.
   "Birders are still "strange" in Iraq. It is kind of an oxymoron when you
really think about it. Protecting nature in the middle of a war!!!.... But,
war makes the task even more important, for in the midst of human tragedy,
the stress on nature fades to the background. Hence, it is up to us, the
strange people who love nature, to do our hardest work now. Because it is
needed now more than ever.
  "Thanks to you all, we work harder whenever we get a pat on the back and
when we know that our efforts are not lost and are recognized by others."

   Those beautiful words of tribute are from Dr. Alwash in response to
Ohio's support of Randy's efforts assisting Nature Iraq.

In Appreciation,
Ann Oliver,
Editor, The Cerulean Newsletter
Ohio Ornithological Society

FYI: other articles in The Cerulean include a profile of Dr. Jed Burtt from
Ohio Wesleyan University who is the new President of the American
Ornithologists' Union, a recap of 75 years of The Toledo Naturalists'
Association, an update on Northern Saw-whet Owl DNA research at the
Buzzard's Roost Banding Station west of Chillicothe, a calendar of events,
and more.