OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
Ann Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:46:44 -0500
Hi Ohio Birders,

  Late posting: On Sunday, Cincinnati birder Paul Wharton found 18
White-winged Crossbills at Mitchell Memorial Forest, a Hamilton County Park,
on the west side of Cincinnati. My husband and I observed the birds that
same day mid-afternoon. It was a life bird for my husband. FYI: the
crossbills were NOT seen on Monday.

 Here's a link to the Cincinnati Birds website:
http://cincinnatibirds.com/goodbird/sighting.php
  Here's a link to MMF:http://www.hamiltoncountyparks.org/parks/mitchell.htm

  Also on Sunday, during the 45 minutes that we stood alongside the stone
shelter house at MMF watching the crossbills feed in the hemlock grove, wave
after wave of Sandhill Cranes passed nearly continuously overhead. I
conservatively estimate 800 to 1000 cranes but it easily was 1000+. Kathy
McDonald and Ned Keller arrived towards the end of the Sandhill flight: they
saw approximately 500 cranes. Unfortunately, in that time period, the
crossbills had 'nomadically' vanished from the pine grove.

Ann Oliver,
Cincinnati