OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
"Robert S. Morton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert S. Morton
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2008 17:30:59 -0500
I just completed a survey on my "Fremont's Wildlife-Friendly Yards" Blog,
a "BIRD FEEDER POLL RESULTS- A SUMMARY".
http://wildlifefriendlylawn.blogspot.com/

We had 22 birders fill out the bird feeder poll. All, 100%, had bird
feeders in their back yards. None of the birders who took the poll reported
that they did NOT have a bird feeding station in their yard. A whopping 95%
or 21 respondents maintained a suet feeder, 90% or 20 had a thistle seed
feeder, 77% or 17 respondents provided sunflower seeds, 63% or 14 birders
fed mixed bird seed, and 31% or 7 respondents provided cracked corn.

As for demographics, 13% or 3 lived in the city proper, 36% or 8 lived in
the suburbs and a whopping 50% or 11 respondents lived in the country.

As for problems related to managing bird feeders, House Sparrows were a
problem for 45% or 10 respondents while stray cats were a problem to 13% or
only 3 of the 22 survey-takers. Not considered a "problem" as much as an
interesting natural phenomena, Coopers or Sharp-shinned Hawks frequented
54% or 12 of the 22 bird feeding stations.

Visit my Blog at: http://wildlifefriendlylawn.blogspot.com/ It has Ohio
newspaper headlines about winter birds in Ohio, updated daily.

The other day, two immature Bald Eagles sat on the ice of the Sandusky
River behind Fremont's Water Filtration Plant, eating a large bird of some
sort. They whoofed down moderate-sized chunks of red meat ripped off the
victim. Don't know if they killed it or merely found it dead. Now I know
the utility in having hooked-shaped beaks...quite efficient for tearing! A
Red-wing Blackbird showed up at my backyard feeder yesterday and today,
along with a few Pine Siskins.

Interestinly, a Cooper's Hawk sat atop my main feeder today, peering into
my living room while I stared back. A truly beautiful bird, indeed!

November 12, 2008 by= backyard iaf= in and around Fremont
(1) by: 1 Sharp-shinned Hawk
(2) by: 2 Mourning Dove
(3) by: 1 Red-bellied Woodpecker
(4) by: 1 Downy Woodpecker
(5) by: 2 Blue Jay
(6) by: 50 American Crow
(7) by: 2 Tufted Titmouse
(8) by: 2 White-breasted Nuthatch
(9) by: 1 Carolina Wren
(10) by: 1 American Robin
(11) by: 2 European Starlings
(12) by: 2 White-throated Sparrow
(13) by: 1 White-crowned Sparrow
(14) by: 7 Dark-eyed Junco
(15) by: 31 House Sparrow
(16) by: 2 Northern Cardinal
(17) by: 2 House Finch
(18) by: 5 American Goldfinch
(19) by: 2 Pine Siskin
(20) by: Bald Eagle (hovering high above)
(21) by: 24 Canada Geese (flew over yard)
(22) iaf: 2 Belted Kingfisher (Sandusky River)
(23) iaf: 3 Great-blue Heron (water filtration plant)
(20) iaf: 2 immature Bald Eagle (eating dead bird behind filtration plant)
(24) iaf: 9 Ring-billed Gull
December 8, 2008
(25) by: 1 Red-wing Blackbird
(26) by: 1 Common Grackle
(27) iaf: 27 Rock Doves
December 9, 2008
(28) by: 1 Coopers Hawk (sat atop bird feeder)

Running by and iaf tally:
Began tally 11/14/08
total species: 28

ROBERT