OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2009 07:02:52 -0800
Multiple flocks of hundreds of lapland longspurs and horned larks in northwestern Wyandot County (northwest of Carey, west of Springville Marsh on the bedrock ridge).  This is the second time I've seen these numbers in this region, so they may hang out here a while.  In one flock I noticed two birds with some white on their wings, observed flying away (possible snow buntings, but I didn't get the best look).  I posted a map of the county roads I typically see them on (and some short-eared owl & other bird pics) here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=188531&id=1396450923#/album.php?aid=12365&id=1396450923

The ponds at Springville marsh were almost completely frozen over with no birds, although another pond on the extreme south of the marsh accessable only via a RR track right of way was open (but only canadians & mallards present).  Same story at Findlay reservoir.

The 'good' geese were no longer present at pond 27 at Killdeer, although I think I spotted a cackling there (1/2 size of canadians, any other good field marks for them?) and there were about 30 tundra swans.  I did see 3 Trumpeter swans at the upground reservoir, which is especially nice for me since I've been struggling with how to distinguish them from the tundras.  I saw what I thought was a trumpeter with a white v-shaped head on view in addition to the other less-diagnostic field marks, but I was still uncertain beacuse I don't see them that often (and there were other obvious yellow-lored tundras on the res).  Then I heard a lovely honking (much prettier than a canadian) and looked up and saw two more swans fly directly over my head and land next to my distant suspect trumpeter- and one of them had a green neck band!  I think I am finally getting more proficient at their ID (thanks to Mike Flynn and others for pointers!).  But I digress...
 the only other duck of note on the reservoir was a common goldeneye (flew in, stayed ~10 minutes, then flew out).

Raptors everywhere!  Several rough-legged, red tails, northern harriers (one was squabbling with a rough-legged over a choice rodent), kestrals, bald eagles (2 immature) and an absolutely gorgeous view of a short-eared owl perched in a 15 foot tree on the north side of CH-77 between TH-123 & TH-108 (see prior link for pics).  I went to the main saw-whet/long-eared area in hopes of seeing pellets/poop in the fresh snow, but nothing.  Came back after dark and heard nothing (where is this mystical "secondary roost"?  I don't play tapes so I usually don't have much luck with owls).  Finally, my other two "wish I had a better look or someone else in the car" rapters were a golden eagle and merlin.  The potential merlin was on CH-71.  I thought it was a kestral then I realized, "that kestral has extremely dark wings."  A second later I thought merlin and pulled over and got out the binos.  A passing car disturbed the bird and I only caught a
 glimpse in flight.  Seemed too small for a peregrine, and wings too black for a kestral (didn't get a good look at head).  Call it what you will.  The potential golden was on CH-119 on the East side of the road just south of CH-71.  HUGE bird in the field.  I pulled over and the top half of it was out of the grass- solid dark brown, with a slightly lighter-colored head.  I got out of the car to get my scope, fell on my elbow (icy- be careful out there!) got the scope out, but the commotion startled it to fly.  Put the scope down and got a wing-on bino view.  When I saw a small amount of white I was disappointed until I realized it seemed confined to the "window" region, so it could have been a juvenile (no white on chest).  My gut says it was bigger and cleaner brown than the other two juvenile balds I spotted, but I never got a decent look at the tail (sorry).  So... next time I'm not birding alone!

I apologize for the long post! I still consider myself pretty new to this obsession, so I want to be up front about my lack of expertise.  Maybe in 20 years I can just post: "Killdeer: trumpeter swans, short-eared owl, merlin, golden eagle" ;-)

Cheers,
Heather