OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2009 11:17:18 -0500
The Mountwood Bird Club went out yesterday to do its yearly Eagle Count.  Our routine is to cover both sides of the Ohio River from Willow Island Locks and Dam to Hannibal Lock and Dam.  We had a really good selection of birds.  I will note which State, OH or WV , the birds were seen. This can be a judgment call for birds in the river.  OH claims the birds in what was the historical river level.  I count birds very close to the OH shore as OH birds, as well as those actually seen in OH backwaters and land.

Bald Eagle, 8 sightings at least 3 different birds, 7 adults and 1 first year bird.  Four sightings in the Newels' Run area of Oh (all adult) there were at least 2 different birds here, the other 4 in WV.

Long-tailed Duck, Willow Island, WV side
2 Common Raven, near Hannibal L&D, WV side
3 Horned Grebe, Willow Island, WV side
10 Pied-billed Grebe, both states
many Double-crested Cormorants, both WV and OH
Great Blue Heron, WV and OH
Canada geese, both states
4 Tundra Swans, OH side at Newell's Run in the river
Gadwall, both states
American Black Ducks, French Creek, Belmont, WV
Mallards, both states
Northern Shoveler, 2 females, Newell's Run, OH
N. Pintail, 15, in the middle of the Ohio River, so they were WV birds
55 Canvasback, several locations in the Ohio River, WV birds
Ring-necked Duck, WV side Willow Is. L&D
Lesser Scaup, both dams, WV side
Bufflehead, both states
Hooded Mergansers, both states
Ruddy Duck, both states
Sharp-shinned Hawk, OH
Cooper's Hawk, OH
Red-shouldered Hawk, OH
Red-tailed Hawk, both states
American Kestrel, both
American Coot, both states
Ring-billed Gull, we were on the OH side, the birds could be claimed by either state as they were flying about
Herring Gull, we were on the OH side, the birds were flying
Belted Kingfisher, both states
Red-bellied Woodpecker, OH
Downy Woodpecker, OH
Pileated Woodpecker, OH
Rock Dove, both
Mourning Dove, both states
Blue Jay, both
American Crow, both
Carolina Chickadee, OH
Tufted Titmouse, OH
Carolina Wren, both
American Robin, both
Northern Mockingbird, OH, maybe WV too.  I can't remember where the second one was
European Starling, both
Yellow-rumped Warbler, OH
Song Sparrow, both
Swamp Sparrow, OH, I think