OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2009 11:26:05 -0500
Thanks for the guide to finding Horned Larks and Lapland Longspurs (and Snow
Buntings), Heather. Your comment about flocks associating with the bedrock
ridge is insightful.

Your question:
A convenient link to information about Cackling Goose is found through David
Sibley's Sibley Guide blog, http://www.sibleyguides.com/canada_cackling.htm

The most thorough treatment I've seen arrived in my mailbox a couple of days
ago. The feature article in the current issue of North American Birds
(Volume 62: No. 3, 2008) details and illustrates the four subspecies of
Cackling Goose, and compares the small Canada Goose subspecies, parvips.

You can subscribe to North American Birds (and you should) through the
American Birding Association, http://www.aba.org/

Tom Bain
Central Ohio Clayey Till Plain
Delaware County