OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Heather Nagy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Nagy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2009 12:18:12 -0500
I had a lot of errands to run in Licking County this morning, so decided to
take back roads at a slow pace with my windows down and my car heater on.
En route between Alexandria and Pataskala, I heard and then saw a flock of
White-winged Crossbills in spruce trees along Jersey Mill Road, about ½ mile
east of State Road 310.  There are many conifers along this stretch of road,
so the birds may stick around for awhile.  The new State Route 161 is not
yet on internet map sites, but it is open from Columbus to the exit for 310;
Jersey Mill is ¼ mile north of the exit.

At the intersection of Jersey Mill and Jug Streets, where the creek goes
under the road, there is a pair of Belted Kingfishers.  They’re there
year-round, and today was no exception.   Watch the cornfields for horned
larks.  Also check out any vultures that fly over, since this site is within
flying distance for Granville’s  “famous” vultures.  You can usually find a
few Black Vultures – sometimes hundreds – with the Turkey Vultures in and
around Granville.

On Watkins Road between Hollow and Wesleyan Chapel, where the road goes
through swampy woods, I came upon a flock of about 40 Tufted Titmice in the
road.  I’ve never seen so many titmice at once – especially without any
chickadees mixed in.

Good Birding!

Heather Nagy