OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Austin Godber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Austin Godber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2009 16:55:12 -0500
This is the third list I have made, just started keeping a list about
two weeks ago when I was in Arizona.  These were all seen from inside my
home (mainly on my neighbors feeders) in Gambier along the Kokosing
River (Knox County).  There were many more species but these were the
only ones I had a chance to identify.  These counts are probably low.

4     Mourning Dove
2     Red-bellied Woodpecker
2     Downy Woodpecker
2     Blue Jay
5     Black-capped Chickadee
5     Tufted Titmouse
1     White-breasted Nuthatch
1     Brown Creeper
3     Northern Cardinal
6     House Finch

10 Species

The Red-Bellied Woodpecker was new for me, and strangely enough (strange
to me, that is) I saw two of them fighting.  I mean, it didn't look like
mating to me.  Technically I am not certain the other bird was a Red
Bellied Woodpecker since I only even managed to see one at a time or
follow one after the bout ...  but they were rolling around on the
ground in a way I thought to be very strange.  Heck it could have been
mating, but I swear I saw them tumble to the ground from the feeder.

I had a hard time identifying the House finch because I kept looking at
sparrows and I was pleased to find the white-breasted nuthatch since it
wasn't one of the guys I have been seeing regularly for the last week
since I started seriously looking.

I typically see a couple of Pileated Woodpeckers, but didnt see any today.

Austin