OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2009 22:18:43 -0500
Julie Karlson and I birded around Clark County this morning and had some
interesting birds. In Old Reid Park a male Wood Duck has been seen on
Buck Creek near the Croft Road bridge for the last couple weeks. On
Hodge Road just east of Buck Creek State Park we found at least 10 Snow
Buntings and three Lapland Longspurs near the south end of the road
along with Horned Larks.

East of Springfield from Laybourne Road we looked over the waterfowl on
the gravel pit pond. This is just west of the intersection of I-70 the
SR 41 near the Clark County Fairgrounds. There is one place to pull the
road but you should stay as close to the road as possible as they have
recently put up no trespassing signs. There were at least 2000 birds
with most of them being Canada Geese. We also picked out 4 Snow Geese (2
blue and 2 white) and several species of ducks including pintails,
wigeon, Mallards, American Black Ducks, Lesser Scaup, Buffleheads,
Common Goldeneyes, Hooded Mergansers, and Ruddy Ducks along with a few
coots.

I haven't been out of Clark County yet this year. My bird list for the
year stands at 54.

Doug Overacker
Springfield, Ohio