OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2009 22:34:43 -0500
On Friday, 01/09/09, I left work early and arrived at Armeleder Park at
about 4:00 pm.  I was looking for Savannah Sparrow, White-crowned
Sparrow, Eastern Meadowlark and Short-eared Owl.  I walked the trails
between the picnic pavilion opposite the entrance and the south trail
head.  I met Kirk Westendorf there, who was also looking for the
Short-eared Owls.  A Northern Harrier was hunting the area, which was
fun to watch, but not new for my January list.  First, I found a flock
of 16 Eastern Meadowlark in the short grassy area across from and east
of the dog park.  Then at about 5:15 - 5:20 pm, a Short-eared Owl flew
south in front of me, roughly opposite the pavilion at the south trail
head.  The bird continued south and then soared up over the trees to the
west and the river until I lost it.  Kirk had seen it fly south from
north in the park.  Kirk gave me a tip on where to find White-crowned
Sparrows, so I hustled north to the path to the observation point that
overlooks the river.  There on the north side I found three
White-crowned Sparrows in the gathering dusk.  On my way back to my van
parked in the south lot at the trail head, I saw another (?) Short-eared
Owl.  It could have been another one or the same one that returned.  It
was east of the dog park in the short grass area between the main road
south and the interior paths in the park.  It was circling low over the
grass and then landed in the north-east corner of the dark grass.  I
ended Friday with a list of 76, adding Eastern Meadowlark, Short-eared
Owl and White-crowned Sparrow.

Saturday morning, started very dreary with heavy rain.  I started the
day near home at Rowe Arboretum, hoping for Red-breasted Nuthatch and
Pine Siskin, but without success.  Then I returned to Armeleder Park,
where I found a Savannah Sparrow.  Then I went to Camp Dennison to look
for the Horned Grebes reported there, but without success.  However, I
did find quite a few Pied-billed Grebes, and most of the other waterfowl
that have been there recently, including Northern Shoveler and one
Common Golden-eye.  A flock of Cedar waxwings flew over.  Next I visited
Spring Grove Cemetery, hoping for Red-breasted Nuthatch (RBNU) and
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, and arriving rather late at about 1:30 pm.  I
found two Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers near the woodland, but no RBNU.
Even though it was a dreary day, there was a lot of bird activity with
relatively large mixed flocks of Carolina Chickadees, Tufted Titmice,
White-breasted Nuthatches and Downy Woodpeckers and with a few
Red-bellied Woodpeckers.  Near the feeder area, I found a female Purple
Finch.  I also found a single Hairy Woodpecker, one Brown Creeper and
one Eastern Towhee.  There were several flocks of Dark-eyed Juncos with
White-throated Sparrows mixed in.  East of the cemetery office, I found
a flock of about 15 Cedar Waxwings.  At about 3:15 pm I headed to Old St
Joseph's Cemetery to look for the Merlin reported there recently.  I
found one Merlin at the top of the hill almost directly up from the
entrance.  This Merlin was being harassed by the crows, that were
chasing it and dive-bombing it on it perches.  I left St Joe's Cemetery
at about 4:00 pm.  There was just enough time to visit camp Dennison
again.   I found both Lesser Scaup (1 m, 1 f together) and nearby three
male Greater Scaup for a good comparison.  Again, I found no Horned
Grebes.  During this evening visit, there were about 30 hooded
mergansers present, but I saw only 1 in the morning visit.

I ended Saturday with three new birds, Savannah Sparrow, Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker and Merlin and a January list of 79.  Not bad for about 4 full
days of birding, mostly in SW Ohio.

Jay

Jay G. Lehman

Cincinnati, OH