OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:42:38 -0500
I made another pass along Hoover Reservoir after work this evening and the total number of ducks and geese had increased substantially from yesterday.  The vast majority of the ducks were Mallards and I don't recall seeing these numbers in previous years.  Scattered among the ducks were Northern Pintails, Buffleheads, Redheads, Black Ducks, American Wigeons, Northern Shovelers and Common Goldeneyes.  The ducks were strung out from the dam north to Smothers road.  The upper end of the reservoir is mainly ice bound and will only worsen as the cold weather arrives this week.

All three merganser species were also present including a group of 6 Common Mergansers (two males) which are the first I have seen on Hoover this year.  They were easily observed from the Walnut Street boat ramp and the first parking lot north of the Ranger Station.  An immature Bald Eagle was also working seen first below the dam and then north of the Smothers Road bridge.  Large numbers of Ring-billed Gulls were also present but I could not locate the Kittiwake.

Good January Birding,

Ken Davis

Westerville, OH