OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
"B. Mollenkopf" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
B. Mollenkopf
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:06:41 -0500
1/12/2009

I have a young female Northern Harrier sighting in Delaware, Ohio. She was
at the Carson Farms Park in the middle of suburban Delaware. She was spotted
on the ground eating a fresh kill, possibly a rabbit. I got the camera and
tried to sneak up and get a good shot but she took off . I have two to three
shots of her on the ground and about 6 to 8 of her i n the air. Below are
the best shots I could muster.

http://bmollenkopf.dphoto.com/#/album/52748/photo/1252974

http://bmollenkopf.dphoto.com/#/album/52748/photo/1252971

http://bmollenkopf.dphoto.com/#/album/52748/photo/1252976

http://bmollenkopf.dphoto.com/#/album/52748/photo/1252978

1.13.2009

I saw her again feeding in the park.   I got the camera and again got some
more shots.  I followed her to a nearby field where she perched on a fence
post for a bit.  Then I saw a male circle the field.  Yes, two of them.  The
male didn't stick around long and quickly combed the field, then the next
field across the road and took off toward another field out of my sight
range.  However the female searched both fields for about 20 minutes then left.

On the way home I decided to investigate where she was feeding in the park
and was surprised to find a large amount of vegetation that she picked up
with here prey.