OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2009 14:33:28 -0800
Thanks to Paul Hurtado for posting about the Merlin on Rt. 33. I live practically directly across the river from where that bird was. Needless to say, it wasn't still perched on the telephone pole on that busy road by the time I got there. I looked around the neighborhood a while without any luck.

Several people have asked me for directions to the bike path along the Scioto recently. The end point is very close to where that Merlin was seen. Park in the lot for the River Edge office complex on 33 south of 5th Ave. Go to the southernmost point to park for that building near the small quarry pond. Walk up the hill to the river and you'll see the paved end of the bike trail. I went only as far as the first bridge today, but it is often worthwhile to all the way down to the bridges for the exit and entrance ramps for I 670 occur.  Cliff Swallows nest there in the summer.

I checked it out today and 2 WOOD DUCKS were still present. Other ducks there and further north closer to 5th Ave. included 200+ Ring-necked Ducks, Hooded Mergansers, Mallards, Redheads, Common Goldeneyes, and a Ruddy Duck.

The Watermark quarry is almost frozen now, but the Mute Swan was still there when I got there. It was Ohio January bird #100 for me. I definitely would have preferred the Merlin for that.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com