OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:38:06 -0500
    With some portions put up as recently as yesterday, the Ohio
Division of Wildlife has made some information about  our birds
available in a more convenient and updated fashion. On the Wild
Resources page
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild_resourcessubhomepage/tabid/5720/Default.aspx
are two categories of special interest to readers of this list.
    The new lists of threatened/endangered species are here. Many former
quibbles with it remain, but a new category and the lack of
nomenclatural errors make it easier to consult. Click on "Endangered and
Threatened Wildlife" in the menu.
    Refreshing also are new reports on DOW "Research and Surveys." Here
you can find Division numbers & status of bird species such as various
white-cheeked geese species (beware nomenclatural anachronisms, though),
wintering waterfowl (kinda skimpy, but at least current), barn owls,
common terns, northern bobwhites, introduced trumpeter swans, etc.,
along with the Division's current take on each. AOU purists will recoil
that English names are not capitalized, but they look fine to me.
    Many of us will not agree with all the views presented here, but
probably all will welcome this organized and timely addition to the DOW
web pages. Definitely worth a look, as well as discussion in this forum
among those who might be interested.
Bill Whan
Columbus