OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Richard Counts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Counts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:52:56 -0500
Finally a male Common Redpoll has visited my feeders here in frigid Northern Wyandot Co. This is the 5th winter that I've had redpolls in my yard in the 10 years that I've lived here.

To chime in on those pesky House (weaver) Sparrows. When I first moved here in the winter of 1998, not a single sparrow was to be found. Now 10 years later I've got well over a hundred and they are vaccum cleaners when it comes to seed consumption!

On a more positive note, a male provided food for a female Sharp shinned hawk last week in the yard, a fit ending for such a pathetic specie.

Rick Counts
Wyandot Co.