OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
"Robert S. Morton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert S. Morton
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2009 13:00:32 -0500
Drove behind Fremont's water filtration plant, where warm outlet stream
flows into Sandusky River. Several hundred Mallards with a sprinkling of
Black Ducks were feeding on the thousands of shiners in the open water. Two
adult Bald Eagles flew from their nearby perch and swooped over the large,
concentrated flock of ducks. The ducks didn't fly into the air, but rapidly
skirted away, paddling away. The eagles never touched the water and
immediately flew back to their perch high atop a nearby tree. I wonder why
they didn't follow through on the attack and talon a duck. Maybe looking
for old, unhealthy or sick prey? Observed this behavior for a half hour.
Sixty additional Mallards landed in the 30 ft. wide by 250 ft. long open
stretch of water. There were over 300 Mallards and a dozen or so Black
Ducks feeding when I left. An interesting interaction! Robert