OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2009 14:17:15 EST
This morning I spent two hours at the viewing window in the Nature Center
working on "Project Feeder Watch" for Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology.
Highbanks has participated in this program for several years. Several visitors
stopped to talk and were rewarded with new year birds for 2009. Species that may
be of interest to local birders included 2 male Eastern Towhees, 2 Fox
Sparrows,  and 2 female Purple Finches. All were constantly coming to the feeders,
possibly  influence by the seed I put out before beginning, remembering to
scatter seed on  the ground for the species that feed below the feeders. Up to 17
American Tree  Sparrows were present at once, along with several White-throated
Sparrows and a  lone Song Sparrow. All told I recorded 22 species during the
two hour  watch.

Charlie Bombaci

**************Inauguration '09:  Get complete coverage from the nation's
capital. (http://news.aol.com/main/politics/inauguration?ncid=emlcntusnews00000003)