OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:53:53 -0500
On the way to church this morning, I saw a flock of horned larks (roughly 40) which included at least three snow buntings, at the Coad Homestead along Route 13 between St. Louisville and Utica.  I've seen small numbers of horned larks in this general area before, but this is the first for snow buntings.

In an effort to entertain my aging uncle, for whom I cook daily, I put out a suet feeder as well as a seed feeder.  He reported that a bird has been coming regularly to the suet feeder, and this morning I finally saw it - a song sparrow of all things.  I wouldn't have thought a song sparrow would prefer the suet feeder to the black oil sunflower seeds, but there it was.

Margaret Bowman
Licking Co., OH