OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
DANIEL WEBER <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DANIEL WEBER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2009 13:11:42 -0500
Hello-

The little bit of snowfall that we have gotten recently has really brought in the birds.  Sparrows, in particular, are really representing.  This morning I had

Song Sparrow
White Throated Sparrow
Dark Eyed Junco
American Tree Sparrow
White Crowned Sparrow
and the big cousin of the sparrows-Eastern Towhee

The number of Pine Siskins continues to increase and now stands at about 30.  When I stepped outside yesterday to fill the feeders, I heard a large flock of crows and noticed that they were harassing one of the resident Red Shouldered Hawks.  After scanning the trees and skies, I estimated the flock to be around 300-a pretty good size these days.  Eventually the hawk had had enough and flew away with nearly all of the crows following it.

Last but not least, I saw a Bald Eagle flying over a field near Amesville yesterday morning.  This bird was a little out of place, but I remember hearing stories of an adult that wintered in the exact same area in 2004//2005.  I was told that it could be seen scavaging roadkill deer pretty regularly.  If anyone on the list lives over in that area, perhaps you have seen it already.  If not, you should keep your eyes out for it.

Dan Weber
Athens, OH