OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 21:29:57 -0500
I started the day near to where I live on the north end of Burr Oak Lake in
Morgan County (old DeLorme 70 D2) and while hiking South from the parking
lot off of Dock 3 (West Mountville) road, one of my dogs kept looking
straight up in the air like she had treed a squirrel or something.  She
brought to my attention an absolutely gorgeous immature Bald Eagle which was
gliding in circles just over the tree tops.  The bird was obviously checking
us out and I swear we made eye contact through my binoculars - if such a
thing is possible.  About five minutes later while in the Burr Oak State
Park group camp area (accessible from the same hiking trail mentioned above)
I heard something a bit unfamiliar and looked up to see a flock of at least
45 Snow Buntings heading South.  This is the farthest South I have seen this
species in Ohio.  Field marks were complete white undersides with distinct
broad black tipped wings.  What a sight!  Additional highlights from the
Burr Oak area were two sapsuckers and two Red-breasted Nuthatches near the
Ranger Station which is near the Burr Oak Lodge, off of State Route 78.

After dropping the dogs off at the house, I made my way to Athens County to
run some errands and to look for some more birds.  I searched for the Winter
Wrens previously reported by Jason Larson at Strouds Run State Park without
success, but did locate 2 Hermit Thrush and 4 Eastern Towhees in the same
exact area (far western reaches of Dow Lake - near the last parking lot on
County Road 20).  If you are approaching this area from the Northeast on
Strouds Road, this parking lot is the first one that you come to on your
right once you enter Strouds.  I did find a Carolina Wren on a frozen creek
eating the seeds out of one of those brown ball seed clusters from a
Sycamore tree - which was entertaining.  Minutes later I heard the calls of
White-winged crossbill and looked up to see three birds descend into a
mature stand of conifer (across from where I was and County Road 20) which
are plentiful in this area. I did not get to see or hear these birds again
once they entered the trees though.

The last stop of the day was the Ridges area in Athens (part of the Ohio
University campus) where highlights included a large flock of Pine Siskins
foraging in the top of some conifers there and a vocal Mockingbird.
...Pretty good day!

Glen Crippen
Burr Oak Lake