OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:01:02 -0500
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the interactive priority block map
has been updated and is back up and running.  This map shows ALL priority
survey blocks of the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas with the current number of
species recorded in each.  The other valuable feature of this map is that it
shows county borders for a more convenient frame of reference.  To view the
map, go to the OBBA2 website (http://ohiobirds.org/obba2/).  From the Home
Page, click on...

        - 'Atlas Blocks' (on the left menu bar)
        - Then click 'Priority Blocks List'
        - Towards the bottom of this page, click on 'Priority Block Map'

For a bit of background info, OBBA2 Priority Blocks were those that were
surveyed during the first Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas (Peterjohn & Rice;
1982-1987).  In order to meet the OBBA2 objective of assessing changes in
Ohio nesting bird distributions, each of these ~750 survey blocks needs
adequate survey coverage during the current Atlas project.

During 2008, priority blocks saw significant increases in survey coverage
statewide.  But, there's still plenty that needs to be done in order to meet
our objectives.  This updated map is a great tool for highlighting areas
that still need survey coverage.

        - Scroll over any Atlas block on the map to reveal its Block ID...
        - Click on each block to open up its profile at our data entry
          website.
        - From the profile page, view current species lists, species lists
          from the previous atlas project, and download printable PDF maps
for
          each block.

Some quick number crunching reveals that 24% of priority blocks (183) have
not received any survey coverage.  These "orphaned" blocks occupy counties
across the state.  Counties like Defiance, Paulding, Allen, Seneca, Gallia,
and Jefferson show noticeable lacks in survey efforts...I can guarantee that
each of these counties offer some fantastic summer birding.  In addition,
16% of priority blocks (121) have received low levels of survey
coverage...under 25 species recorded.  Have a look.

I encourage all Ohio birders to take a look at this map to see if there are
areas where they can contribute some survey efforts.  Anyone can participate
in the breeding bird atlas.  Not familiar with what OBBA2 is all about?  To
concisely sum it up...

...atlas participation is very similar to covering a Christmas Bird Count
territory...

...with the exception that you are paying more attention to what each bird
is doing as opposed to keeping a precise tally of each species you
encounter.

Please contact us to learn more about the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II.
We'll get you whatever information that you might need.

Good birding!

Aaron Boone
Project Coordinator
Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II