OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 21:55:03 -0500
I checked these neighboring areas this morning looking for snow- and ice-concentrated rarities.  Hoover reservoir above the dam is fully iced over, so the spillway and downstream are the only open water.  They were jammed with ducks and geese this morning, although mostly Canada geese and Mallards.  Totals were:

Canada Geese - 760
Mallard - 440
Black Duck - 25
AmWigeon - 2
Gadwall - 3
N.Shoveler - 2
Redhead - 1
Canvasback - 1
ComGoldeneye - 3
Hooded merganser - 3
GreatBlue Heron - 3
Ring-billed Gull - 200
Herring Gull - 6
Bald eagle - 1 immature

A hike around the nearby Nature trail and Disc Golf course found plenty of calling residents, but little that was unusual other than a Pileated Woodpecker.  This is the first time this season that I have NOT seen Red-br.Nuthatches here.  A quick stop at nearby Inniswood MetroPark found more of the same (including another Pileated), but the feeders here have accumulated startling 4 E. Towhees.  With this extended snow cover, local feeders should be picking up all sorts of unusual birds now.