OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2009 16:45:05 GMT
Dear Ohio Birders,
A friend of mine has a screech owl using his nest box on Root Road in Columbia Twp. (Lorain County).
It would be helpful to those of us trying to improve our backyard habitats to know to what some of these birds are attracted.  I am particularly interested in the crossbills.  We had planted a chokeberry last summer and it bore lots of fruit, but no birds seem to be interested.  This shrub was sold to me as a native species.
So if you happen to notice what the birds are eating- please let the list know.  I am sure I am not the only one who wonders.
Thank you.
Kathleen Bradley