OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Amy Winnicki <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amy Winnicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2009 17:44:32 -0500
Help! I need help identifying a bird I saw today.
I was at the Nature Realm, a delightful little park in Fairlawn, OH that contains a pond, a beautiful garden, a nature center and a deciduous forest. I was feeding the Black-capped Chickadees and the Tufted Titmice by hand when a new little fellow showed up.
The bird was about the size of a chickadee, and rather rotund looking, almost like a kinglet (although it was cold and all the birds were fluffed up). He/she was a bright lime green/yellow with 2-3 distinct electric-yellow wingbars. His beak was thinner than a chickadee's, but not thin to the extreme, so I assume it wasn't a seed feeder. A yellow patch that was shaped almost like a teardrop circled its eyes and pointed to its beak. My initial decision was a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, but it seemed almost too green. I thought it just looked out of place. Would any type of flycatcher be here this time of year? I wasn't sure. It didn't make a sound, but flew off into a dense bush. I ran back to get my camera and it was gone. None of my field guides seemed to help. Any ideas?

New Years' day I hit the lakefront- nothing spectacular-just some Ring-billed Gulls, Herring, Lesser Scaup, Greater Black-back Gulls and the usual hordes of Canada Geese. Some birders I met said they had a couple Iceland earlier that morning. I didn't see any of the owls- short-eared, snowy or saw-whet- that had been reported. A Red-breasted Nuthatch and a Northern Mockingbird helped brighten the day a little. Nothing much.

In the Southern half of Medina County- around Chippewa Lake area, I have been spotting a lot of hybrid turkeys. The flock is mixed with small, normal-looking Wild Turkeys, and larger, slower ones with white wings. Wasn't this once a problem?

Happy Birding,
Sarah Winnicki