OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:03:06 -0800
I circled the lake at Hinckley Reservation this
afternoon looking for crossbills.  There are numerous
conifer plantings along the park roads here, though
most of them are Norway Spruce - perhaps not
White-winged Crossbills' preferred cone crop.
Nonetheless, a noisy flock of eight birds (six ad
males) passed me near the ball diamonds on East Rd,
headed in the general direction of the Spillway.
Roads worth checking in the area include - East and
West Drives, Bellus and State Roads.    Other species
of interest:

Rough-legged Hawk  1  light-phase; soaring over
Whipp's Ledges parking lot
Brown Creeper  1
Red-breasted Nuthatch  2
Pine Siskin  11

And, if you're looking to see White-winged Crossbills
in bulk, Emil Bacik reports 150+ at Woodlawn Cemetary
near Toledo this morning.  Included in that tally was
a single flock totaling 110 birds!  See rarebird.org
for more information on these birds.

Good birding -
Gabe Leidy
Cleveland