OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Alicia Elmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alicia Elmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2009 01:42:48 -0500
I've been observing an ever-growing gathering of Canada Geese at the
Norwalk Reservoir over the last two weeks, and I'm estimating that as of
today there are around 700-900 at the northernmost lake.

7 Greater White-fronted Geese have shared the ice with them on each of the
seven or so days I've been there these last two weeks, including the last
four days in a row. Luckily, the White-fronts always hang out near the
middle of the Canada Geese sprawl, and always on the outermost edge facing
the parking area, so they can be spotted almost immediately from inside
the car with binoculars.

Today I managed some photos, and as their bills appear as bright orange as
their feet, I'm wondering if it's possible they're of the Greenland
subspecies. Though I'm not sure how dramatic the difference is between the
pinkish standard bill and the orange bill of the subspecies, and they
haven't come that close to the shore yet to give the best view.

Also today for the first time, I found a hybrid bird amongst the group. It
doesn't look like most of the "Canada X Domestic" hybrids I read about
online. It has a similar body size, coloration, and white cheek-patch as a
Canada, but with a light bill (couldn't tell color as sun was fading) and
the same white around the bill as a GWFG. But it stood out the most by its
bright orange legs! I didn't have my camera on me at the time, and when I
came back with it, I couldn't find the odd bird within the huge group. I'm
going to try to get a picture of it tomorrow.

I did see today in Jim McCormac's _Birds Of Ohio_ that GWFG are marked as
rare, and usually without sightings in January. I'm new to this list, and
this is my first post, but I would have posted sooner had I read that bit
before today!

I'd be happy to share the GWFG photos if anyone is interested (I don't
have a website to upload them to yet), or to give more thorough directions
to their location. I'll check the list for any replies or related posts
over the next few days, and will post an update if I don't continue to see
the White-Fronts at the reservoir.

Glad this list exists and thank you to everyone for their contributions!

~Alicia Elmer

.....other recent Norwalk Reservoir sightings.....

I haven't seen much other waterfowl at this location yet this winter,
aside from Mallards, but today three Canvasbacks landed closeby just after
the sun set. And also in the northern portion of the reservoir, at the end
of the loop drive, there were 2 Northern Flickers, 5 Eastern Bluebirds,
and a Hairy Woodpecker all on two adjacent trees at the very same moment
on Wednesday. Aside from that, haven't seen too much non-waterfowl
activity beyond the ordinary in this section.

But in the southern portion of the reservoir, during the last few weeks,
there was a pair of adult Bald Eagles flying together in circular chase-
like patterns, starting at the water level and lifting higher and higher
until I could barely see them in my binoculars directly above where they
started. There was also a Merlin perched in the same tree about four times
over the last month. And today, 5 Robins on a sumac bush, and nearly 10 on
an ornamental tree on the city road leading to the reservoir. I didn't
notice any Robins here last winter, though I know they are increasingly
over-wintering throughout the state.