OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Richard Counts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Counts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2009 14:10:12 -0500
I just left Oak Hill Cemetery in Upper Sandusky where I had between 30-35 White winged crossbills feeding in the hemlock trees. They were also joined by a single Common redpoll who was also feeding on the hemlock cones.

These birds are very tame and approachable at a couple of feet. Thanks to Charlie B. and Al L. for pointing in their direction.

The Crossbill invasion this year has to be one of the highlights of my 39 years of birding.

Rick Counts
Wyandot Co.