OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Dan Gesualdo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2009 15:48:01 EST
After arriving at the Nature Realm in a whiteout, the skies cleared  briefly
to view the White Winged Crossbills. Five males and 3 females were  visible
foraging on cones at about 12 feet off the ground. Phenomenal views and  awesome
photo ops. Also present were about 10 pine siskins, a pileated  woodpecker,
white throated sparrows and other usual suspects.
Crossbill pictures:
_http://danno216.smugmug.com/gallery/7178417_ATtJd/#460825488_bRCUy_
(http://danno216.smugmug.com/gallery/7178417_ATtJd/#460825488_bRCUy)
A brief stop at Oak Hill turned up two nice finds; a red breasted nuthatch
and 2 eastern bluebirds. Thanks to Jen for the tip.

After leaving the Oak Hill I drove down to Riverview road and  turned left. I
turned right on Bath road and in the river to the left were three  female
wood ducks, 30 or so mallards, one canvasback and three GB herons. They  were all
actively feeding in the water. A belted kingfisher was perched on a  branch
just over the bridge as well.
Not too bad for 2 hours worth of birding between jobs. These  new birds bring
my January total to 98 and I leave for California in two  days.  I am hoping
to make a quick (ha ha) drive down south to find the  black and turkey
vultures. Can anyone assist with a pinpoint location for the  roost on Rt.33? If so
please email privately.
Good birding and good luck to all in the quest for 100 as the month draws
close to an end.