OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2009 20:02:06 EST
Al LaSala and I enjoyed a day of birding in Wyandot and Marion Counties
today. Rick C has previously posted about the White-winged Crossbills and Common
Redpoll at Oak Hill Cemetery. These delightful and beautiful birds were
totally  cooperative for us. When Al and I arrived we began walking and shortly I
heard  the crossbills chattering. Al and I were enjoying the show when Rick
arrived. At  one point I thought the crossbills were about to start up Rick's leg
as they  came right up to him. Al got out his camera and took some full frame
pictures to  remember the occasion. For Al who is a recent member of the
birding  fraternity, it was two life birds at once in the same tree. A trick we all
would  like to pull off.

We next moved on Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area. Raptors were scattered
throughout the area and we located Rough-legged Hawks, Northern Harriers,  American
Kestrels and Red-tailed Hawks. Surprisingly we didn't see any Bald  Eagles.
This was an interesting fact as the ODNR Eagle Watch Volunteers were  meeting
at the Sportsman's Club building today. Maybe the eagles were also  having a
refresher course. There were plenty of Horned Larks around, but we only  saw a
few Snow Buntings. We met several other birders who had checked the two  pine
groves and reported not locating any owls.

Al and I then continued on to Big Island Wildlife Area. The grasses were
filled with small song birds feeding on the available seeds. Among them were
American Tree Sparrows, Swamp Sparrows, a sole Savannah Sparrow and a flock  of
Snow Buntings. As we walked along the levee the snow crunched loudly under  our
feet and up popped a Short-eared Owl which did a delightful flight over the
grass before landing in open view. Several Northern Harriers were busy hunting
 over the grass and one caused the Short-eared Owl to take flight and find a
better place to settle. This graceful owl was life bird three of the day for
Al.

Great company, good birds, wonderful day.

Charlie Bombaci
steps!
cemailfooterNO62)