OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Paula Lozano <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:34:16 EST
Saturday, January 24, 2009

Section 16, Lakeview Cemetery, Cleveland,  3:00 p.m.
Observers: Bob Finkelstein, Ted Gilliland, Jim  Heflich, Patty Kellner,
Claire Johnson, Steve Cagan and group of hikers, Paula  Lozano

Thanks to Scott Van Valkenburg's post,  we located the flock of white-winged
crossbills he reported in the  trees west of the Garfield Monument. We
estimated that  there were approximately 20 crossbills, with more males than  females.

East 72nd Street, Cleveland Lakefront State Park,  4:00 p.m.
Observers: Bill Deininger, Bob Finkelstein, Ted  Gilliland, Paula Lozano

This afternoon there were a lot more  gulls than this morning. Both times
large numbers of ducks and gulls  were seen looking north toward the east
entrance to the  harbor. Besides the species reported by John Pogacnik, we added  a
lesser black-backed gull - 3rd cycle - to our day  list.

There was one disturbing sight, a Canada goose  that appeared to be dying. It
was writhing in the water with its  head twisted backwards, and it was
continuously somersaulting. It was  a sad way to end an enjoyable day of mid-winter
birding on the  lakefront.

Paula Lozano
Lakewood, Ohio

steps!