OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2009 05:11:10 -0800
Greetings!

I was finally able to get out and add a few more birds to the January list yesterday. White-winged Crossbill (#104) and Common Merganser (#105) were the only new ones, but it was a very good day of birding with great weather and lots of bird activity. Here are the highlights:

Greenlawn Cemetery: The White-winged Crossbills put on quite a show yesterday, but at times were very difficult to locate. I first located them in section P (early morning) and then later in section X (early afternoon). I was able to get great scope looks at both males and females, but you'll need to be patient and wait for them to settle down and start feeding. They were very active yesterday and seldom seemed to stay put in any place for very long. I had flocks of 12, 25, 7, 9, and 1 at different times. I am not sure if these are individual groups that keep splitting-up and getting back together or what. Again, area P and X seem to be the current hot-spots, although they were seen as far south as the bridge and were also seen south of the pit. Other good birds included: Red-breasted Nuthatch (1F) at the pit feeders, several Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers (various locations) and a big flock of American Robins. No one that I talked to saw the Merlin.

Greenlawn Avenue Dam & Scioto River: The area of the dam had lots of gulls and a smattering of ducks, including two Ring-necked Ducks and two Canvasbacks. The area of the river between the dam and the old bridge abutments (downstream) had lots of open water. It was in this area that I had the single, male Common Merganser. I also saw Red-breasted Merganser, Hooded Merganser, Canvasback, Common Goldeneye, Pied-billed Grebe, American Black Duck and Great Blue Heron. I found a single Brown Creeper in the trees near the parking area.

Hoover Dam: There is very little open water above the dam, although there were some groups of geese and gulls scattered in various locations on the ice. All of the activity was below the dam. Lots of ducks, including Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, Gadwall, American Black Duck and American Wigeon.

Blendon Woods: Not a whole lot of activity here except for a couple of Gadwall on the pond and the sign in the nature center said that the Dicksissel was still being seen as of yesterday morning.

Good birding,

Jason

Jason S. Larson

Graduate Student

Ohio University

Department of Environmental and Plant Biology

315 Porter Hall

Athens, Oh  45701

740-593-1126