OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Scott Albaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Albaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2009 19:05:39 -0500
Yesterday (1-24-09) at the Richmond Union Cemetery just west of Wintersville in Jefferson County:
White-winged Crossbills - 54; Flyovers, except for about a three second stop at the top of a White Pine
Common Redpolls - 3
Chipping Sparrows - 3

Also yesterday, at Friendship Park near Smithfield (Jefferson County)
Short-eared Owl - 1

Today (1-25-09) My yard in Rayland (Jefferson County)
Red-breasted Nuthatches - 2

Also today, some friends and I checked two of the dams on the Ohio River.  I started at the Hannibal dam in Monroe County. The following is the complete list from the Hannibal Dam (all seen from Ohio side):
Canada Goose - 220
Great Blue Heron - 2
Red-tailed Hawk - 2
Peregrine Falcon - 1
Cooper's Hawk - 1 (Looking very out of place perched on the dam)
American Crow - 8
Mallard - 6
Canvasback - 7
Greater Scaup* - 16
Pied-billed Grebe - 14
Rudy Duck - 5
Redhead - 4
Hooded Merganser - 1
Bufflehead - 1
Coot - 10
Song Sparrow - 2
House Finch - 1
Ring-billed Gull - 650 (rough estimate with most of them near the West Virginia shore)
Herring Gull - 1 juvenile
Rock Dove - 140
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 1
House Sparrow - 2

* I'd like some advice on the Greater Scaup.  Normally I see lessers on the river, which is what I thought these were at first.  But the more I looked at them, the more I started to think that they were all greaters.  They all had round heads, from the front the bills looked broad, and in flight they showed a lot of white in the wings.  Are there any birders in Monroe County who could follow up on these?  (If anyone does please let me know what you think.)

From Hannibal we went to Pike Island Lock and Dam in Yorkville, Belmont County:
Bald Eagle - 1 all dark bird perched probably 800 meters away on the side of a hill
Common Goldeneye - 25 (only one was male)
Bufflehead - 14
Scaup sp - 14 (too far to get a good look, visibility was poor due to snow)
Redhead - 4
American Black Duck - 4
Mallard - 15
Ring-billed Gull - 179
Herring Gull - 1 adult

Two adult Bald Eagles were seen along rt. 7 near the mouth of Pipe Creek in southern Belmont County.

Finally, at least 2 Pine Siskins were seen at my friend's feeder along Pipe Creek in southern Belmont County.

Scott Albaugh
Jefferson County