OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2009 20:30:33 -0500
Fellow Birders,

     After taking the day off yestersday, the resident Barred Owl called
this afternoon, bringing the january total to 32.  Shortly thereafter, a
group of Canadian Geese flew over.  There was one lone Snow Goose.  I had
seen it the week before, (yard bird # 161!!!), so I was looking for it
again.

     33 is not all that impressive a number for two days, but 30 of these
birds were seen in the "Yard"  Went looking throughout Perry County for
more, but found only rock dove, kestrel and mute swan.  Some notables in the
"yard", which is, after all, 60 wooded acres, included Brown creepers at the
suet feeder, Fox Sparrow, Bluebird, Sapsucker, Harry woodpecker.  (When the
Brown creeper, Harry woodpecker, and the Yellow bellied sapsucker  showed up
at the same time last week I callee "it"  the Creeping harry sapsucker)

     I just sent a message to Columbus Audubon, hoping to reach the Avids re
the trip to Lake Erie  on Jan 10.   Would love to meet up with you, but
don't want to go  way out of our way to meet at the  Worthington mall.  If
you are one of the said avids,  please reply, (not reply all)  and see what
we can work out.  Will buy you a Mocha at GOASIS (exit 186)  if we can
arrange it.

     Joe in the woods
     Somerset, Perry County