OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 12:58:41 -0800
With the American Birding Association's publication of
ornithological record, North American Birds, back on its
normal publication schedule, my LATE! deadline for Fall
report submissions is 15 Feb. This is also the deadline
for photographic submissions. I am always looking for
striking rarity photographs for the Easter Highlands and
Upper Ohio Valley Region (OH-WV-PA). With Su Snyder's
invaluable help, Ohio's representation has improved this past
year over my first few volumes which were dominated by the
Pennsylvania crowd. And Matt Orsie of West Virginia has
placed that state in the national spotlight above and beyond
the call. With generally 9-13 images per issue covering
the Region (more than once was seen from an entire
volume), I think there's room for a better showing from
 Ohio.

Please send material to my other email address

In a bit of serendipity, Bill Whan recently brought up the wealth
of bird images to be found at Flickr. I do not wish to take
anything away from PBase, Smugmug, Photobucket, or
Picasa all of which I routinely source for images. However,
owing to the intuitive interface offering a high degree of
flexibility (especially in correcting my entries), I have opted
to host a group pool at Flickr for ...

"Rare Birds of the OH-WV-PA Region USA"

find it here

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ehuov_nab_rarities/

The site is only just starting up so little to be found here
just yet, although I have started a discussion topic on
meadowlark ID in winter.

Here is a formal description of the site.

This group is intended as a repository for images of seasonal
and geographically rare species of birds occurring within the
Eastern Highlands and Upper Ohio Valley (OH, PA,
 and WV)
 ... a subset of the North American Birds publication of the
American Birding Association.

The submission of images here is NOT required for submission
of rare bird images for publication in North American Birds.
However, a discussion topic is open for such submissions.

I am flexible with the level of rarity here ... from 1st state
records down to the 10th county record (give or take).
Similarly exceptionally early/late or seasonal records of
note are welcome. Exceptional flock sizes, breeding records,
and rare forms/hybrids are also welcome.

I also see the site offering individuals to run an expose on
a species showing off a suite of characters within a
discussion topic. For these species discussions, material
outside of Ohio is welcome within the topical forum (even
link with html to examples elsewhere on the Internet).

This site also can serve as an archive of
 older material and
historical records are welcome.

Excellent images of uncommon species are welcome as
are barely identifiable shots of super-rarities.

Within that range, I am looking for your best shots with
the intent of creating a pool from which to pick 10-12 each
season for publication within North American Birds. This
is NOT a requirement for participation in this group.

If you are granting permission for NAB publication, please
indicate his in the appropriate discussion topic.

For these submissions for publication ideally information
on the significance of the record will be included, along
with date (if not automatically recorded by the camera),
location (geotag if you wish but not necessary), and your
name if not evident by your user ID.

It is hoped that this system will allow easier management
of potential submissions to North American Birds, while
allowing for
 larger multi-meg images than some other
forums provide.

Participation requires signing up for a free Flickr account.

http://flickr.com/

- Vic Fazio
Co-Regional Editor, OH-WV-PA North American Birds
http://flickr.com/photos/victor_fazio_iii/collections/72157612737690296/
http://aba.org/nab/archives.html