OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:27:13 -0500
I had a nice surprise at my thistle feeder this morning-a couple of pine
siskins.
Other feeder birds:
red-bellied woodpecker
downy woodpecker
white-breasted nuthatch
tree sparrows
white-throated sparrows
dark-eyed junco
northern cardinals
American goldfinches-just a few
house finches
house sparrows in abundance
blue jay
European starling-one on my suet
There have been great-horned owls calling at night in the woods between our
house and downtown.
The bald eagle pair who have nested in the past on Middle Bass Island at the
airport were not on their nest on Monday. They have been reported in the
woods to the south of the runway. Their nest fell last fall in a big wind
storm and they had been rebuilding even closer to the runway.
Large numbers of Herring gulls and a few great black-backed gulls can be
seen on the ice on the west shore of the South Bass Island. The numbers are
growing with the numbers of ice fisherman with shanties present!
Still hoping and looking for crossbills!
Lisa Brohl