OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2009 18:32:42 -0500
Hi all,

I participated in the Hocking Hills Christmas Bird Count today, along with
Jarel Hilton and Dave Minney. By the way, this count is fantastically
organized, thanks to Jere Brunken and Paul Knoop, and gets great
participation even though this was only the fifth year for it. Lots of
interesting habitat, in one of the most picturesque regions of the state.
Try and make it next year, if you can.

Anyway, three groups reported a total of 49 White-winged Crossbills. One
group had a flock of eight, we had seven, and John Watts' group had 34 in
total. Perhaps the most easily re-findable might be John's birds, which were
right along Clear Creek Road in the Clear Creek Valley. They were in and
around some large Norway Spruce near the can't miss rock known as Leaning
Lena, that towers over the road. More on Clear Creek here:
http://www.ohiobirds.org/birdingsites/showsite.php?Site_ID=46

The other crossbills were essentially flyovers in the boondocks of Hocking
County. This region is full of gorges with hemlock trees, and there are no
doubt many more crossbills. A really good place to check for them might be
Rock House State Park. There are conifers galore right around the parking
lot. More info here:
http://www.ohiobirds.org/birdingsites/showsite.php?Site_ID=62

Lots of Pine Siskins, too - 213 were tallied on the count. There was a
smattering of Red-breasted Nuthatches and Purple Finches as well, and a few
Hermit Thrushes. Two Ruby-crowned Kinglets were nice finds; this species is
one to watch in future winters as they may become more common if winters
continue becoming milder. Lots of Turkey and Black Vultures about, too -
seemed like one or the other was always in view in the afternoon.

Jim McCormac

Jim McCormac

Columbus, Ohio

Like nature? Visit my blog: http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/