OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2009 21:24:15 -0500
Sorry for the use of 2008 in my previous post.  I'll get the hang of the
new year, 2009, soon!

Yesterday, 01/02/09, was a work day.  I was able to find Mute Swan (2)
where I work in Mason and an American Kestrel along Tylersville Road
near VOA at lunch-time.  So, 01/02/09, ended at 59 species.

At the end of today, 01/03/09, my list is 68 for two full days of
birding in January.  I started the day at Melvin Quarry, with 5 Snow
Geese, Black Duck and 3 Northern Pintail.  The Pintail were very hard to
find and stayed hidden most of the time in the mass of Mallards at the
far side of the lake along the shore.  Ned Keller previously reported
the large numbers of water-fowl at Melvin.  I headed west from Melvin
taking the back-country roads back to Rt. 72 by way of Starbuck Road.
Along the way I saw about 20 Horned Larks.  Then I headed for Hoover
Dam.  As did Ned Keller, I found a good count of American Kestrel.  I
had 4 in the circle route from the Rt. 72 interchange on I-71 to Melvin
and back across country by a different route to Rt. 72 and I-71.

At Hoover Dam at about noon, the Black-legged Kittiwake was near the
spit, when I arrived, but had been seen and photographed below the dam
on the spillway.  Several of us, got relatively close to the kittiwake
at the end of the spit, and I managed some reasonable digiscope photos.
When I left, the bird was sitting on the ice not too far from the spit.

There were diving ducks north toward the bridge, including several
scaup.  I was able to study them relatively closely at the Walnut Boat
Ramp.  I identified the two scaup as Greater Scaup due to the very
rounded head profile, their relatively large bills and relatively large
nail on the end of the bills.

Then I headed for nearby Blendon Woods Metropark, where I saw the
Dickcissel at the feeder, as well as 4 Brown-headed Cowbirds.  On the
lake, there were 2 Green-winged Teal, m + f.   There was a single
Red-winged Blackbird at the feeder by the lake.  I tried for but did not
find the previously reported Fox Sparrow or the Red-breasted Nuthatch.
When I left Blendon Woods, there were 15 Brown-headed Cowbirds in a tree
near the Nature Center.

I stopped by John Herrick Drive. Bridge near Ohio State campus, and
found 10 Black-crowned Night Herons.  Perhaps, I will head north
tomorrow to look at gulls.

Jay

Jay G. Lehman

Cincinnati, OH