OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2009 23:57:24 -0800
Greetings!

Sorry for the late posting, but I'm just finally getting everything in order after our three-day trip around the state.

So...just a quick update on some good birds worth chasing tomorrow if you have the time and energy.

If you have not seen the Black-legged Kittwake...then GO TOMORROW. It was a life/state bird for me and it is very much worth the trip to Hoover Dam (Columbus) to see it! These birds are normally fly-by, one-day wonders on the lake, rarely recorded inland and this one has been in one general location (above and below the dam) and very cooperative for three days.

Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area (Wyandot Co.) was extremely productive yesterday evening. We ended our three-day excursion there and we were rewarded with fantastic birds.

Pond #27 along Wyandot/Marion Road (County Line Road) was absolutely crammed with waterfowl, especially geese. We located at least 5 Ross' Geese (white phase - 4 adults and 1 juv.) and 14 Snow Geese (adults and juv. of both blue and white phases) amongst the throngs of Canada Geese. There were also at least 14 Greater White-fronted Geese and 70+ Tundra Swans which were located prior to our arrival and  were present with the aforementioned Snow and Ross' Geese.

We were also able to locate at least 10 Eastern Meadowlarks in the vacinity of the sportsman's center along TR 75.

Greenlawn Cemetry in Columbus provided great opportunity for Brown Creeper and Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers around the pit which is just south of the main masoleum.

Just about everything else of note that we saw on 01/03 was mentioned in previous posts from late yesterday.

Su Snyder, Sue Evanoff and I ended our three-day trek with 96, 91 and 95 species, respectively. I've never gotten this close to 100 so quickly and we had a fantastic time reaching our present total. I'm hoping to be able to get my 100th species by the end of 01/05, which is about 20 days faster than any of my other previous efforts.

Thanks for all of the updates on January 100 quests to date and for everyone's tips and information along the way. Well...it's back to school on Monday, so I'll keep ya posted as I get time and I'll keep the rare bird updates coming to the listserve as I get any.

Keep going and good luck!

Good birding,

Jason

Jason S. Larson

Graduate Student

Ohio University

Department of Environmental and Plant Biology

315 Porter Hall

Athens, Oh  45701

740-593-1126